HOLIDAY FIRST AID

Your Grey and Glass Ornaments

THE PROCEDURE:

 

BEFORE BEFORE BEFORE the holiday go to a pharmacy and buy a box of cotton balls. Be sure that you get COTTON balls ... not the "cosmetic puffs" that are made from man-made fibers. Also, buy a quart of half-and-half coffee cream and put it in the freezer. Should your dog eat glass ornaments, defrost the half-and-half and pour some in a bowl. Dip cotton balls into the cream and feed them to your dog.

 

Dogs under 10 lbs should eat 2 balls which you have first torn into smaller pieces. Dogs 10-50 lbs should eat 3-5 balls and larger dogs should eat 5-7. You may feed larger dogs an entire cotton ball at once. Dogs seem to really like these strange "treats" and eat them readily. As the cotton works its way through the digestive tract it will find all the glass pieces and wrap itself around them. Even the teeniest shards of glass will be caught and wrapped in the cotton fibers and the cotton will protect the intestines from damage by the glass. Your dog's stools will be really weird for a few days and you will have to be careful to check for fresh blood or a tarry appearance to the stool. If either of the latter symptoms appear you should rush your dog to the vet for a checkup but, in most cases, the dogs will be just fine.

 

 

Christmas Holiday and Winter Hazards for Pets

For many people, winter and the Christmas holiday season are happy times of years. Most of us enjoy quiet evenings indoors watching the snow fall and cuddling up with our pets. But there are also a lot of holiday hazards and winter hazards that can adversely affect our pets that we should all be aware of. A lot of common products that we have in and around our house at the holiday time of year can be very dangerous to our pets. Some of these items include:

alcoholic beverages, chocolate, coffee, onions, onion powder, fatty foods, salt, yeast dough.

 

In addition to those food products, there are also some holiday hazards in the way of household plants that we typically find in the winter and Christmas holiday seasons that include lilies and  poinsettias. There are certain kinds of lilies that can be fatal to your cat if ingested that include Tiger lilies, Asian lilies, Japanese show lilies, Easter lilies, Stargazer lilies and Casa Blanca lilies that can potentially cause acute kidney failure in cats.

 

Poinsettias can be generally low in toxicity, but if they are ingested, they can irritate the mouth and stomach in cats. Mistletoe can have a negative cardiovascular effect on animals and can often cause gastrointestinal upset in pets. Holly is another holiday hazard that is around during the Christmas holiday and it can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and lethargy in animals. If you fear that your pet has gotten into and ingested any of these holiday hazards, please seek the advice of your vet for proper care.

 

There are also holiday hazards that can be around your Christmas tree. Water in your Christmas tree can often contain fertilizers that can cause stomach upset in animals if it is ingested. Also, stagnant tree water can have a lot of bacteria which can make your pets ill if ingested. You should also keep electrical cords safely out of reach of your pets and ribbons; tinsel and other holiday trimmings can cause obstruction in the intestinal tract of your pet if ingested, so use special care when using those items.

 

Other holiday hazards for your pets can include batteries and glass ornaments.

 

There are also other winter hazards that include antifreeze and ice-melting products that can be very dangerous to your pets, so make sure that you use those products with care.

 

http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/poison-control/a-poison-safe-home.html

 

Greyhound Pets of America
Greater Orlando
Lost Grey

For lost or found Greyhound - Call 321-303-9434 .

Follow us on Facebook!